Melissa Boydston Penry
- Born: February 23, 1825 in Summerville, Noxube Co., Miss.
- Married: Hilliard Judge Shands, Dec. 14, 1847 in Noxube Co., Miss.
Melissa Penry was a daughter of Jonathan Penry and Cynthia Boydston. She and HJ lived in Summerville through the Civil War years, but decided to move on in 1865, at the end of the war. They gathered her family and relatives, and on Oct. 1, 1865, set out for Texas in a large party. They settled in Forney, near Dallas.
Melissa and HJ had 5 children, all born in Mississippi:
- Ninus Eugene Shands married
Julia Cox Douglass
- Erasmus Percival Shands married An Elizabeth Self
- Coloma California Shands married James Elliott Douglass
- Newton Brown Shands married Lucy Stephenson
- Lillie Bell Shands married John Walker